- Continue weekly checks and perform swarm control if necessary if you see charged cells
- Extract Spring honey, return supers to the colony they came from
- Be aware if there is a ‘June gap ‘ in forage or the weather deteriorates – feed if necessary but not with supers on
- A monthly health check is a good idea, shaking all the bees off the frames in order to see the brood clearly
- Monitor the varroa levels and plan and purchase your treatment now.
- Remember – it is a good idea to vary treatment from year to year
- Think about the strength and condition of your colonies, assess temperament and consider uniting or queen replacement
- Be aware that this is the time Asian hornets are establishing primary nests often nearer to the ground. – monitor hives